Henry Ford Academy Turns 20!
20th Anniversary Picnic
In 2017, Henry Ford Academy celebrates 20 years of serving students in Wayne County. HFA opened its doors to the first 100 freshmen in August 1997. Since then, the Academy has graduated more than 1,700 students fulfilling our mission to “develop critical thinkers, life-long learners, and responsible citizens prepared for college, career, and the global community.” Read more about HFA's unique history emphasizing "Learning by Doing."
Throughout the year, activities are taking place to mark the 20th Anniversary milestone. Alumni of the Month have been recognized at our monthly Town Hall meetings, sharing their stories, experiences, and advice with current HFA students. During the Class of 2017 Commencement on Monday, June 12, 2017 the accomplishments of the alumni were recognized as well as the keynote address by Steven K. Hamp, former President of The Henry Ford and visionary behind the formation of the Academy. During the year unique apparel and other memorabilia will be available for purchase.
The celebration culminated in a 20th Anniversary picnic on Saturday, August 19, 2017 held at Walnut Grove and the HFA Village Campus. We welcomed alumni from all classes, current and former HFA staff, family members.
20 Years of HFA Accomplishments
- 97% average graduation rate
- 100% of graduating seniors have post-secondary plans (college, university, military, trade-school)
- Graduates are awarded millions of dollars annually in college scholarships and grants, reaching $3.7 million for the Class of 2016.
- Successful, ongoing operation of a 500 student “school in a museum,” located on two campuses in The Henry Ford.
- Continuous integration of the unique assets of Henry Ford Museum of American Innovation and Greenfield Village into the curriculum.
- Annual placement of 100+ seniors in internships with local businesses/organizations, as part of the Senior Mastery Process.
- Continued, strong support from our founding partners: Ford Motor Company, The Henry Ford, and Wayne County Regional Educational Service Agency (Wayne RESA).
- FIRST Robotics Team to National competition
- SHOAH Foundation award
New HFA “Branding”
Building on the excitement of the 20th Anniversary, HFA launched a new logo and tag line in January, 2017:
The HFA Compass.
The compass represents our strong tradition as Navigators, and has been an important symbol of HFA throughout its history. As our logo has evolved over time, the compass has remained a constant. While the look is fresh, the significance endures.
Challenges our students and staff to continuously push the boundaries of teaching and learning. Invokes our emphasis on “active learning” and our inspiration from Henry Ford’s “Learning by Doing” philosophy.
Recognizes the many, varied accomplishments of our students and alumni--at HFA, in college, in their careers, and in their communities. Calls on future students and alumni to follow suit.
Challenges our staff, students, and alumni to “make an impact” as they move forward in their life pursuits. Acknowledges our strong bond with The Henry Ford and its mission, vision, and values.
20 Years Strong.
Strong students, staff, support systems, alumni, partners--committed for the long-term.